The Downtown Topeka, Inc., the Downtown Foundation and the community have played a vital role in transforming downtown Topeka.
From Vision to Reality 2008 – 2016
- 2008 – Heartland Visioning led public forums asking, “What’s next for Topeka?”. The response was to create a vibrant downtown. And, the design process begins.
- 2012 – City Council votes to commit $5 million toward needed infrastructure replacement, if private sector funding can assist with topside enhancements.
- 2013 – Private sector donor campaign begins, and exceeded the $1.8 million goal, by raising $3.8 million.
- 2014 – Infrastructure replacement begins – water lines, electrical, storm sewers, curbs and sidewalks, mill and overlay.
- 2015 – Topside enhancements begin, along with amenities.
- 2016 – Topside enhancements and project comes to completion.